Friday, July 08, 2005

Sleepwalkin'

I have been sleepwalking through my days lately.


It is funny what happens when you are running on autopilot, the other day I was driving home from work not really paying attention and then all of a sudden I was walking through the aisles of a local supermarket. I didn't need anything, I didn't even really want to be there, maybe George A. Romero was right when he made Dawn of the Dead: Shopping has become an instinct or a reflex.


I was struggling to find anything I could purchase so as to justify turning up there and I couldn't bring myself to leave empty handed. Leaving empty handed would have been like admiting that I had no idea why I was there. So I purchased some panadol, a three instant dinners and spare disposable shavers. It seems like some kind of significant statement: instant, disposable, pain relief and everything wrapped in brightly coloured plastic packaging.


Standing in the cheese and dip section of the coldstore I was nearly run down by a runaway trolley being driven by two kids, no older than five followed closely by mum who was screaming after them "This is why I never take you to come to the supermarket!" They had a trolley full of potato chips. Everywhere I looked kids in school uniform were bullying their parents into purchasing something that was currently being advertised as the latest in snack food technology: A new type of cheese stick, cola flavour, chocolate biscuit.


Ahhhhh, I'll tell ya there's nothing quite like the modern world! I have also been watching a lot of television in the evenings, I can't remember exactly what it is that I have seen except I am pretty sure that someone was murdered, someone is always murdered on television.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares